Friday, January 25, 2013

Being back

We left Bangalore in 2010 – just two and half months into the marriage and returned after two and a half years of marriage! It feels strange to be back, to the place where it all started and the place both of us love. Though clichéd, even we think that Bangalore’s changed a lot since 2006. Roads on which I rode my bike at 60 kmph then, now don’t even allow me to go to 30 kmph resulting in spending double the time I spend on road than I would have (ceteris paribus 2006). Areas where we thought no development can happen are the one of the most premium priced localities in the city. With this, traffic has gone up multi-fold (I’m sure you were waiting to read this, especially if you do not stay in Bangalore! :)), there’s more chaos on roads than ever, and more stress all over.

And still we just love being here. For me it’s like Mumbai – there are so many people I know who hate Mumbai, but I just love it. Same with Bangalore – the moment you tell someone you are from Bangalore the next question you are attacked with is …Oh..horrible traffic, eh? I have stayed in more than four cities (Tier1 & 2) in India and have seen a similar traffic situation in all four. Okay, it might be a little worse in Bangalore and Mumbai but others are not any different. However, coming back to the point of coming back to Bangalore, we have definitely come as a couple, more mature in the relationship and lives, and more focused in both personal as well as professional lives than when we left.

It’s great to be here but somehow I think we are still stuck to “our” Bangalore from six years back! We haven’t quite managed to come to terms with all the new places that have sprung up in the city over the last two years. The place we used to love, which was THE PLACE to be two years back is staring at a shutdown because of competition. I know, it’s just been two years but the way the city has developed is beyond our comprehension! Yes, we did our share of visiting those places which we used to frequent before getting married, eating what we used to love (we still do), taking a particular route to go to a place (then bike now car), catching up with friends and all that (two sets of friends still remain)! Strangely, we haven’t visited any discs in the city – and it’s been four months of our stay in Bangalore!!!

Settling down itself took a good one and a half months’ time – and then we have been continuously busy over the weekends. My work timings do not allow us to socialize much (much I said) during the weekdays and so weekends are the only times we get to work around the house, catch-up with friends, spend some quality time together, and visit our old places! Among all this, we just realized a couple of days back that we haven’t been on Brigade’s or HRC even once since we’ve come back (we used to do that quite a lot). That unsettled me a bit and the whole idea of writing this post cropped up. Being an analyst, I love to analyze everything that comes my way. Above written things are just parts of the analysis that my brain has gone through in these busiest times at work! Next on agenda – clubbing, one of these weekends!

@ our favourite hangout!


2 comments:

  1. I have lived in Bangalore for a long time, and I feel it is one of the better cities, all things considered-especially weather! Currently in Delhi, I find Bangalore a bit laid back, but great for its weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Rajendra...Bangalore's weather is no doubt better than other cities...however of late it hasn't been that great!

    ReplyDelete